top of page


How often do I receive my tax bills?

The Town of Middlefield has a quarterly billing system for the Town real estate and personal property taxes. The first bill is mailed out June 30 with a due date of August 1. The second bill is mailed out September 30 with a due date of November 1. The third bill is mailed December 30 with a due date of February 1. The fourth bill is mailed March 30 with a due date of May 1.

What if I did not receive a tax bill?

Failure to receive your tax bill does not excuse you from payment of taxes, or from the interest and fees that accrue on the outstanding balance. A tax bill is generated and mailed for every parcel in the Town of Middlefield. It is the responsibility of the property owner to pay taxes regardless of receipt of a bill. The bill is mailed to owner as of January 1 of the previous year. New property owners will have their names added to the bill (indicated as a c/o) if the Assessors receive the new deed from the registry of deeds in a timely fashion.

Can I make partial payments on my tax bills?

Partial payments are accepted on Town Real Estate and Personal Property taxes. Motor Vehicle taxes must be paid in full.

Can I pay on one check?

Yes, if you are paying your real estate, personal property, and excise taxes at the same time, you may add them together into one check. Please enclose your bills and please make sure you sign your check. Postdated checks will not be accepted unless a note explaining the reason is attached.

Do you accept postmarks for the date the payment is received?

Bills are considered paid “when received” and not when mailed. Postmark dates on envelopes are not accepted as the date of payment. All payments are to be received by the collector by the due date.  Payments received after that date will incur interest at the rate of 14% per annum.

What if my vehicle is sold or traded?

If your vehicle is sold or traded, you will need a bill of sale or trade-in document and a plate return receipt from the RMV. You will need a new registration if the plate has been transferred to another vehicle. Bring this information to the Assessor’s office to file for an abatement.

What if my vehicle is stolen or declared a total loss?

If your vehicle is stolen or declared a total loss the Assessors require a copy of the police report or insurance settlement letter and a plate return receipt or an affidavit of a lost or stolen plate.

bottom of page